When I get overwhelmed in a place, my brain shuts down and I start to feel dizzy. That's what happened to me today when I went to the Chanukah party at my local Chabad House. Chabad-Lubavitch is an Orthodox Jewish movement that aims to bring secular Jews back to their traditions. I have no familiarity with Jewish tradition at all, and my local Chabad (as I learned) is mainly a meetinghouse for observant Jews, so for me this was an overwhelming experience.
Rather than reserving space beforehand I decided to just drop by. Of course, the Chabad rabbi is prepared for any and all unexpected visitors. He picked me out as I walked through the door, gave me a yarmulke, and had me put on tefillin, a cube with Torah inside, and recite a prayer. I had never even seen tefillin before, but I enjoyed the experience and it felt spiritual. The rabbi got my name and sent his son to go chat with me, but I was unable to make conversation because I had got dizzy at that point and had to sit down.
Two Jewish mothers sat down in the seats directly left and right of me, with their kids behind. This isn't normal Boston practice (usually you sit on the opposite side of the table) but I was glad for the company. On the right was a Russian immigrant who seemed to appreciate the support network of Chabad. On the left was a mystery--a visitor from Sherborn who was continuously talking about the problems immigrants face. When I brought up the tefillin she told me that I had no idea what a big mitzvah I had performed by saying that prayer, and that I was causing some mighty big changes "up there", as she pointed with her finger, and I realized that she that she was Lubavitch! She looked totally normal... well, my stereotypes were shaken. I told her that I had learned about Chabad House from a book on Lubavitch women, and she told me that her husband volunteered setting up kosher kitchens for Jews.
Lubavitch men walked by wearing top hats and looking down at their prayer books. There was a huge ice sculpture menorah, Chinese food, and latkes. The hours rushed by as the rabbi did a rap about Chanukah and a band struck up corny Jewish folk songs (including, yes, the dreidel song), giving the meeting the homely atmosphere of a bar mitzvah. The rabbi was having his son's hair cut and announced it was a big mitzvah for everyone to come up and join in, so I did so. The Lubavitch lady gave me a pile of latkes I was too stuffed to touch. I feel more glad than ever to be at home now. It was a fun experience but totally unfamiliar-- like a whole new universe.
Sunday, December 13, 2009
blog comments powered by Disqus
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


