I am only bringing a single, half-size duffle bag and a small messenger bag. This is because I am going to be living in a monastery and I will have to carry all my stuff on my back from place to place. Oh yeah! Did I mention that my study abroad is much, much cooler than theirs? I'm not sure if you got that message.
Here's what's coming along:
- A sweater and a Harrison Ford jacket.
- Passport, student ID, credit card.
- Five blank shirts. Four pairs of khaki pants.
- Heavy pants-- I need to buy some of these, because I can't find any in my dresser.
- Toiletries: toothpaste, deoderant, Dr. Bronner's, and cold medicine
- Camera
- One of those damn money belts-- there being no place to store my money, I need to carry 200,000 yen with me at all times.
- Padlock-- I'll be living in places without locks on the doors
- Diary
Not seen here: No jeans. No shirts with writing on them. No swimsuit. No guidebooks. No electronics. No extra pairs of shoes.
Need I remind you how much cooler my trip is than theirs?
This doesn't mean I'm only bringing one bag back. In fact, I am planning on buying all sorts of crap while I'm there, mainly artbooks. If you'd like anything from Japan, SPEAK NOW before I leave, because communication over there may be difficult.


