When the old woman left the voting booth she made it about halfway to the door before collapsing in a nearby chair, where she began weeping uncontrollably. When we rushed over to help we realized that she wasn't in trouble at all but she had not truly believed, until she left the booth, that she would ever live long enough to cast a vote for an African-American for president.Yesterday I went to a parade. It went from City Hall to the Heian Shrine so I guess it was a pretty big deal. It started raining an hour into it but the costumed paraders kept it up.


Everyone's favorite part of the parade was the little kids. I think they were supposed to be ogres?

I went to Kyoto University and tried to find an undergraduate thesis paper. My Japanese skills were put to good use, but this turned out to be a useless quest because they didn't know anything about it, and when I got home I found out that a revised version of the paper has been published in a small Japanese journal which Ryukoku University has in its Twilight Zone stacks. (More about that later.)
I thoughtlessly took a taxi home and was charged $20. That was supposed to be my meal budget for this week. Oh well!
I should warn you guys that exciting blogging will not resume until November 10 because we are all done with our field trips. I might go to a mountain this weekend.


