Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekend Part 1: Mt. Omine

I got a lot of catching up to do on this blog. This weekend we visited the sacred Kii mountains of Nara prefecture. It was very eventful and I had a lot of fun. I took a lot of good pictures-- it would actually overwhelm the blog to post them all full size...



We drove through Tenri City, home to the Shinto-esque new religion Tenrikyo. This is their central temple (webcam). Tenrikyoists believe the center of the world is located on a pole inside this building. Their founder is housed here, having left the physical realm but not yet dead. They have a television hooked up in her mausoleum in case she is bored.



Although it seems somewhat amusing in its principal beliefs Tenrikyo is a very sincere religion dedicated to making the world a better place. Apparently their hospital, built with an interesting fusion architecture, is one of the best in Japan. The site coordinator whom I praised earlier got top medical treatment there even though she is not a believer. We also passed through Oomiwa Shrine, where many students go to pray for luck on their college entrance exams, but my picture of that is not so great.



This is the ryokan (traditional inn) we stayed at in Omine. It was a singularly amazing place that had its own hot spring piped directly into the baths. We literally got royal treatment at meals-- we were served the way nobility were in the Heian period. At dinner we each got a personal hot plate with a fire underneath that cooked the meat as we ate the vegetable course. This spectacular service came at 2/3 normal price (due to budget trouble on the program), one week before the owner's daughter's wedding. She served us herself. The hospitality of Japanese people constantly amazes me.

I have to go say goodbye to one of the program students now. He is going back to America for reasons I will get to later. I'll finish this post up in the afternoon...
blog comments powered by Disqus