Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kunzang Choden

My congressman on transgender issues: The phrase "having something trapped in the wrong body" is how we often feel when our bill goes to the Senate.

Yesterday I volunteered to help revamp his website. It's currently a total mess with incomprehensible navigation. When I looked it up last fall, I was unable to find the internship link; only my mom could find it, after a dedicated search. We'll see how this goes. The last intern to revamp the website made a mess of it and added an <iframe>.



Last night I went to a Smithsonian event by Kunzang Choden, the first Bhutanese woman to write a novel in English. She gave us a description of her life and conditions in the country. I have a picture of her with me (it's a really funny picture-- I didn't realize I had undone the top button on my shirt and my tie was falling off) but I can't upload it right now. Apparently one of the other interns came as well, but I didn't see her. She only told me this morning! The Smithsonian's Bhutan event is the largest exhibition the country has ever held outside its borders. I'll try to take the day off tomorrow and see the excitement for myself without the crowds. Bhutan is the most sincerely Buddhist country.

Then I headed into Georgetown, which people told me was like Cambridge. That is a pack of lies. It is like Wellesley. They do have an independent bookstore, though.
blog comments powered by Disqus