Monday, June 23, 2008

Silly season

I arrived in Washington's Union Station at around 5:30. A mass of people of all ages, colors, and sizes swiftly flowed around me. A group of Buddhist monks clad in orange came in one of the doors, looking for their train. A huge tour group of middle school children wearing ID necklaces surrounded me. Finally, my e-friend Shiunji appeared at the door, we got into his car (license plate OH-SNAP; Pokemon CDs in the glove compartment; top hat on the floor), and we took off for George Washington University. Shiunji was entirely different from how I imagined him from his e-mails, which was something like Jumbo from Yotsuba&!. He knew the area, but unfortunately for me his contracting firm keeps him up all night, and he sleeps all day.

Outside, the weather was an eerie omen. The sky had turned everything orange even though there was no sun visible, and rain was falling even thought there were no clouds. I entered my dorm, which was surprisingly beat-up and pocked with strange scratches, but livable. Finally, I knocked on the door at the end of the hall. My roommate introduced himself as Champ, which confused me; I didn't know if I was in the right room. It soon came to light that Champ was just a nickname; his real name was the one on the GWU website. But I will keep this private for now because the next thing I learned was that his father is the governor of Guam. Let's call him Champ on this blog.

Champ and his female friend down the hall are interning in the Guam representative's office. Now, Guam does not actually get a vote in Congress; they only observe. So their intern work seems to primarily consist of learning about the history of DC and giving tours of the Capitol. Even so, Champ will get up early and work late, like me. I wonder if I'm going to give tours.

I plenished our refrigerator with some snacks from Trader Joe's, then the three of us went to dinner at a greasy spoon down the road. This restaurant served burgers, but they were out of hamburger buns, sandwich buns, and tomatoes. So I had a gyro. But I left a nasty tip. Finally I came back here. I don't have my own computer. Champ let me use his... but the "A" key is broken, and I have to hit the rubber thing underneath instead. Is that really all right? Now I'm starting to hate every word with the letter "A" in it. I tried to post the rest of this entry at 10:00PM last night, but the residential network rejected my login. It turns out I needed to go to the computer center and pick up a converter box with a specific serial on it. That's hardcore technology.

Today is my day off. I will look for a local library where I can make blog posts. Actually, my own laptop would be pretty nice too. But after the Daxyne project caused so much stress I might take a break from owning a computer for a while.

blog comments powered by Disqus