Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Subway and Flag Room

Capitol subway

I didn't realize the Capitol had its own subway! I rode on the House "tram" line and there's also a covered subway for Senate members. The subway walls were lined with state flags, statues, and busts of various lawmakers including Hammurabi and... Colbert.

At the other end of the subway we went to a place which looked a lot like a post office. It had a window, drop boxes, and piles of outgoing mail. But wherever I would expect to see the words "post" or "mail", it said "flag" instead. And all the outgoing mail took the form of flags! It was, apparently, the Flag Office. So many people in the United States want flags shipped to them from Congress that they needed an entire office for sending them out. We dropped off our flag and headed back to the subway.

Calls are continuing to come in on the "Iran naval blockade" thing. It's troublesome because I don't yet know why my congressman supported this bill.
blog comments powered by Disqus